Saturday, September 7, 2013

Like Father, Like Sons (1/2)


For countless nights I ran
For countless miles
In fear that someone was in pursuit of me.
Suspended in time,
Suspended in my own denial
I misconstrued the chase.
I made up the place, its scenery.
"Forgive me, I'm weak.
Forget what you feared in me,"
Cried the voice calling out from my feet.
"Forget what you seek,
I am the shadow beneath."
(All along it was my shadow, but unlike yours it did not follow),
But instead took me to your bed
Where the crows were picking at your reddened rosary.

A shadow impeding,
The crows keep feeding.

While history repeats, I'll scatter the ashes.
I'm faking sleep while time elapses.
Give us this day our morning masses.
The mourning can wait while the body relapses.

To reach the end is a false hope.
I'm playing pretend in order to cope
With the inevitable cycle of becoming the horror
I considered an idol.

To reach the end is a false hope.
I'm playing pretend in order to cope
With the inevitable cycle of becoming the horror
I once so gladly feared.

Your shadow is sleeping,
Enjoy the reaping.

- afm

No comments: