Thursday, January 8, 2015

The Road More Traveled

I bought a calendar/ to help me keep track/ I crossed off the days/ pretending X's could subtract/ all the previous moments I no longer wanted to possess/ But each marking only emphasized the pain that I wished to forget

Better sleep when you are gone/ is not a sign of moving on/ but a failure to face the days without you/ All the edges start to blur/ Memories of who we were/ are flashes of a dream you can't hold onto

So hold on before the feeling's gone/ Letting go is just a road less traveled upon/ Once you let it slip right through/ there's nothing you can do to get it back/ You can't turn around/ You can't recover your tracks/ So hold on before the feeling's gone

I bought a comforter/ to help me keep warm/ I reshaped the structure of the bed and its contours/ Different sheets, a different mattress/ A silver screen, a better actress/ What more could I ask for? A shorter road without the atlas/ A distant world without the axis/ A room without a door

Dim the lights, unload your gun/ Shut your eyes, black out the sun/ Nothing burns, no, nothing stirs, no more/ Faith aside, I lost all hope/ Curtains fall without the rope/ Take a bow, and take it all, why don't you?

Because nothing is the same/ when memories remain/ Well, pack 'em in/ We'll pack 'em in and drive/ further down the road/ We'll drive further down that road/ so when you turn around there's nothing left behind/ but you're nothing without the passengers inside

So hold on before the feeling's gone/ Letting go is just a road less traveled upon/ Once you let it slip right through/ there's no nothing you can do to get it back/ You can't turn around/ You can't recover your tracks/ So hold on before the feeling's gone

No comments: